At FactO News, contributors and fact-checkers verify the information they gather, which includes identifying information such as names, locations, statements, timelines related to the content. The fact-checkers and contributors within our editorial team or who volunteer to fact check are committed to non-partisanship, transparency, open to constructive criticism and corrections. Our contributors will never plagiarize or distort context deliberately. There could be multiple fact-checker websites and news agencies who could have debunked fake claims before FactO News, in that case we make sure that the respective website gets the credit in our articles. Our goal is to provide readers the most accurate and verified news.
Our work-cycle looks something like this:
1. Finding Fake Claims
- We continuously monitor Social media platforms and mainstream TV news channels to keep ourselves updated.
- We receive claims regarding fact-checking through our Facebook and Twitter handles, and/or from our Telegram, WhatsApp platforms.
- We validate statements made by prominent leaders and news agencies upon requests or if we find the claim to be misleading or false.
- We try to validate every viral post/news (Religious or Political ) on social media.
- We check the impact of the viral claim using Google Trends.
- When we receive a claim, we first contact the source of the claim for more elaboration and supporting information.
- If the claim is related to a image or video being misused or used in any other misleading context, we do reverse image (by key frames, if it is a video) search through InVID chrome browser extension to find out the original source or first published data of that image or video.
- We also do a keyword search, with the help of context and location of the claim to find out the original source.
- We use InVID chrome ext. to magnify the viral images and try to read the details of background objects.
- If we are verifying any claim made by a Government official, we try to get the information from official websites, try to reach out to the concerning official. If both didn’t work, we then file RTI at the online RTI portal to get more information.
2. Documenting the Findings
While Fact-checking the claim, we document each and everything .
- We collect/store all the data related to the content.
- We archive some content using the archive.is website in case if the content gets deleted or taken down.
- Research associates drafts an article by using all the material we gathered.
3. Writing Fact Check article
The editor picks the drafted article, evaluates the claims and evidence provided in the article, embeds necessary images and materials and writes the article with more details. The article will then be send to the Chief Editor for final review.
Our chief editor will validate the article written by team members and verify all claims, make necessary changes, and publish the article, which will be posted on all our social media platforms and channels.
5. Re-calling /Updating
Please read more on Correction Policy page